Sunday, August 15, 2010

Indie Rock and Nights Out








About the pics:

The underground subway mall had an interactive information booth that can take and email pictures. I sent that one to Danna.

Teengirl Fantasy - opening band on Thursday.

Handsome Furs.

Handsome Furs with Beth and me.

Charlie and Pat "aka" Chaz playing beer pong at Thursday Party.


So I have officially finished teaching my first full week of classes. Not bad at all. I have a few kids that might be comparable to the "problem child" but I will find ways to handle them. So far, I'm really enjoying myself here.

The Handsome Furs show on Thursday night was incredible. The first live music show I have been to outside of the States - there were definitely a lot of westerners, but there was still a different vibe that is unlike any in the US. The band's energy was feeding onto the crowd and the crowd's energy was bouncing right back, and everyone was having an amazing time. After the show, the band hung around taking shots with all of us and chatting with everyone. I had a long conversation with the lead singer about a show of his I saw in San Diego, and that led to him telling me about the 2 bands he's in and how he met his wife and their plans for the next year or so. It was a great time!

This weekend was my first real weekend out in Daegu - last weekend we were out with the school and the other night I stayed in. I also stayed in on Friday night... I needed a day off after the Thursday night show - you'd think that work at 4pm the next day is enough recovery time... it's not.

Last night, I went out downtown with some friends and made many new friends. We went to the usual spots that all the "foreigners" frequent - The Holy Grill (American food, foozball tables, Nintendo Wii, American Sports on TV, good music, Canadian owned), Thursday Party (Korean bar catered to foreigners, beer pong games, darts, some dancing, and often times, a lot of army guys), Who's Bob (a dingy, dive bar that everyone ends up at after all of the other spots - usually around 2am or later). It was a fun night, I definitely met a TON of people and got back home around 4am or something. Apparently it's not an unusual occurrence to leave the bars when the subways are up and running again - they stop running at 11:30pm every night and I think they start back up around 6 or 7am. I keep forgetting to take pictures of the funny things - you can buy: a zip-loc bag of alcohol with any mixed drink for about $2.50. They shake it up and stick a straw in it and wait for you to taste-test it - you can instruct them to add more alcohol to your taste, no limit. Also, at the end of the night there were some little food carts serving 4 inch in diameter pizza rounds in a dixie cup - those were about $1.

The weekend goes by so quickly! I'm slowly gathering things for my apartment to make it feel more homey. I'll get there.

Back to classes tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment