Monday, October 11, 2010

Global Gathering

Last weekend, there was a worldwide electronic music festival in Seoul called Global Gathering. My understanding is that this show travels all over the world but hosts different bands and DJs that are from that particular country. Some bands travel to more than one location, like Armin Van Buuren and, I believe, Justice and Fatboy Slim as well.


It was a 1 hour 40 minute ride on the KTX fast train, something like 8 stops on the Seoul subway maze and a 20 minute ride on a lovely Global Gathering-sponsored shuttle bus.

We got there just in time to see The Koxx perform - an alright Korean band my friends came across at a rock fest a few weeks back. Dr. Martens and Jagermeister were sponsors of the event along with Singha Thai beer and a few other less memorable ones.

It was a very long day as we left Daegu at 8am, arrived at the festival at 2pm after some lunching and didn't leave the venue until 3am. Good thing one of our friends had arranged for her place to stay already because we just crashed there at 4am. The other option was to push it through the night and stay up until 5:30am when the first KTX left for Daegu - we couldn't make it.
Justice and Fatboy Slim put on very entertaining and dance-worthy shows, and some of the other bands weren't too bad - Idiotape, Telepathy and of course, the Koxx. It was a really fun time, and it's nice to keep doing different things on the weekends. I'm not sure how many people were at this festival, but it could not even begin to compare to Coachella - I can hardly say the two in the same sentence. It's great for Korea - I find myself saying that quite often. Things are measured on a different level of greatness at home as they are here in Korea. You have to cut "everything" some slack, and I do mean everything........ sometimes you just gotta say, "It's good... for Korea."

I included some video clips from Justice, but for some reason the sound stops halfway through, check them out on my YouTube channel. The Fatboy Slim video wouldn't load, but you can check it out here. The sound is a little fuzzy - I guess that dance music is too loud for my little camera.

























No comments:

Post a Comment