Friday, November 11, 2011

Koh Phangan and Koh Tao

Lena and I were convinced to stay in this area called Baan Tai upon arrival in Koh Phangan rather than the Full Moon Party beach, Haad Rin. We reluctantly paid for four nights and had to take 100 Baht rides to the town and back. Our door had a piece of wire as a doorknob, and a janky padlock went through a hole to keep it locked. After one night there, we knew that we'd have to find an alternative, even if we couldn't get any money back from the dreadful Great Bay Resort. We got a recommendation from a local expat who sent us to Suncliff Bungalows - it was perfect. We paid 300 Baht a night for a charming bungalow, fully equipped with the random millipede, frog in the bathroom and an upright fan and cold shower - it was all we needed. They had the upgrades for 1000 Baht a night, but with the money lost, the only thing in mind was "cheap!" Anyway, the pool there had a perfect view for sunset, and it was absolutely stunning. Finally, something worked out for us. We met up with the friends from Vietnam again - Ryan, Dillon and Craig - and the long-lost Siri! We also met a few more Brits that were a ton of fun to party with.

Suncliff Bungalows Pool at sunset. 
Our bungalow.
The island was swamped with Israelis, more than anywhere else; however, the island wasn't as full as I was expecting from the stories I had heard. Pre-FMP (full moon party), we all reconvened for a painting party at Siri's hostel - Same Same But Different Hostel. I had some creative works painted on me to include a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and a Super Mario Bros. extra guy mushroom. We were all looking awesome and had a fun night. Different groups were split up and found again throughout the night. I lost one flip-flop after about 15 minutes, and I jump-roped with a fire jump-rope and went down a flaming waterslide - safely. It was not the horrible party that I thought it would be.






We spent a day at Haad Yao beach, which was so beautiful and relaxing, and I also found a delicious greek salad! Then everyone tried to sort out an exit route off the island. I ended up paying 400 Baht to get to Koh Tao for a PADI diving course - expensive considering I paid 550 to get from Bangkok to Koh Phangan. I had just enough time for an Open Water course before my Thai visa expired. I started watching videos as soon as I arrived at Asia Divers Resort, and the confined dives started in the morning.




I didn't have any problems until the filling of the mask with water. I have always had to hold my nose at any time while under water, and this didn't work well. After some struggling, I managed to do it successfully once or twice, but I wasn't feeling confident for the open water. Luckily, my three French instructors were fantastic.

After jumping in the water and deflating my BCD (buoyancy control device), slowly going down to the ocean floor, I got more comfortable. It was actually fun, with the exception of the mask tests. I still passed, and I had a great time diving. I can't wait to get my advanced certification and dive somewhere else.


From there, I got a ferry to Koh Samui and a flight to meet Joyce in Kuala Lumpur - reunited!

No comments:

Post a Comment