Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sightseeing in Kathmandu

The next day was my last in Nepal, and I was trying to perfectly budget as to not have to pull out more Nepalese Rupees right before departure. I did a bunch of sightseeing with the Israelis and was not planning for all of the associated entrance fees. Aviv ended up throwing me a few hundred Rupees.



This is the communal shower.

We started in Durbar Square, sans Aviv as he was out gathering trekking gear. It was nice, but mostly because we got to see a rare ceremony that was described as something where these little girls have a wedding to one of their gods, and therefore will never be alone even if becoming a widow or divorcee. Although the little girls with makeup can be a strange sight to see, the girls looked stunning.




Next, we went to the Monkey Temple where we found Aviv! After circling around, we caught the local bus to the other side of town to Boudhanaut, which was also very nice. Everyone circles the Buddha eyes clockwise, spinning these things around as they make their way back to where they started. We opted for a cab on the way back to Thamel and haggled until we got a great deal.



They spin every single one!


To finish off the night, we had a good Mediterranean dinner at OR2K restaurant, and an amazing dessert at Cookie Walla. This guy learned how to make this dessert in India. From what I remember, it was bananas fried with butter and graham crackers, covered in chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream, with an amazing cookie crumb cake. I think they call it "Hail to the King" - and it was amazing.


I had to rush back to finish packing and get up early for my flight to Sri Lanka. Goodbye, Nepal. I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment